When We Collided
Written by Emery Lord
Seventeen year-old Jonah Daniels has lived in Verona Cove, California, his whole life, and only one thing has ever changed: his father used to be alive, and now he is not. With a mother lost in a deep bout of depression, Jonah and his five siblings struggle to keep up their home and the restaurant their dad left behind. But at the start of summer, a second change rolls in: Vivi Alexander, the new girl in town.
Vivi is in love with life. Charming and unfiltered, she refuses to be held down by the medicine she’s told should make her feel better. After meeting Jonah, she slides into the Daniels’ household seamlessly, winning over each sibling with her imagination and gameness. But it’s not long before Vivi’s zest for life begins to falter. Soon her adventurousness becomes all-out danger-seeking.
Through each high and low, Vivi and Jonah’s love is put to the test . . . but what happens when love simply isn’t enough?
Primary Source Pairing:
In this heartwrenching love story told in two voices, we meet Vivi and Jonah. Each unique and talented in their own ways, and each needing something from the other. For this primary source pairing, use the Instagram book review photo created by foldedpagesdistillery to start a discussion about Vivi and Jonah as characters individually and as a couple.
Questions for Discussion:
- How does the photograph describe the characters in When We Collided?
- What additional pictures or elements would you use to describe Vivi and Jonah?
- If you were to create a photograph like the one created by foldedpagesdistillery what would you include?
- What images could you use to represent other characters in the book? For example, Jonah’s siblings, Leah, Vivi’s mom.
- How does using images help you understand the characters in the book?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Book Review Photograph: foldedpagesdistillery