When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons
Written by Julie Fogliano, Illustrated by Julie Morstad
In Julie Fogliano’s skilled hand and illustrated by Julie Morstad’s charming pictures, the seasons come to life in this gorgeous and comprehensive book of poetry.
Primary Source Pairing:
This lovely book of poetry perfectly captures the beauty of each season. Use it as a whole collection or pull it out at the beginning of a new season. For this primary source pairing, invite students to study the art in the book itself. Julie Morstad’s detail and whimsy bring each season to life as Julie Fogliano’s poems transport us to the season and the feelings it brings.
Questions for Discussion:
- What do you notice first?
- What people and objects are shown?
- How are they arranged?
- What is the physical setting?
- What’s happening in the illustration?
- How does the illustration show the season of the year?
- How does the illustration make you feel?
- What does the illustration remind you of in your own memory of that season?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Illustration created by Julie Morstad: macmillan.com