Thunder Boy Jr.
Written by Sherman Alexie, Illustrated by Yuyi Morales
Thunder Boy Jr. is named after his dad, but he wants a name that’s all his own. Just because people call his dad Big Thunder doesn’t mean he wants to be Little Thunder. He wants a name that celebrates something cool he’s done, like Touch the Clouds, Not Afraid of Ten Thousand Teeth, or Full of Wonder.
But just when Thunder Boy Jr. thinks all hope is lost, he and his dad pick the perfect name…a name that is sure to light up the sky.
Primary Source Pairing:
Yuyi Morales created illustrations that make Thunder Boy Jr. come alive! For this primary source pairing, use the book as the primary source. Using pages 19-20, invite students to explore the image showing all the things Thunder Boy Jr. has done that could inspire a new name. Encourage students to think of a new name for themselves using the same brainstorming technique as Thunder Boy Jr.
Questions for Discussion:
- What do you notice first?
- Find something small but interesting.
- What do you notice that you didn’t expect?
- What do you notice that you can’t explain?
- What can you learn from examining this?
- Think about things you’ve done – how would you change your name?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Two-page spread from book: Mackin VIA Community