The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim
Written by E.K. Johnston
In an alternate world where industrialization has caused many species of carbon-eating dragons to thrive, Owen, a slayer being trained by his famous father and aunt, and Siobahn, his bard, face a dragon infestation near their small town in Canada.
Primary Source Pairing:
In this dystopian fantasy, there is one thing the humans and the dragons have in common: an insatiable appetite for fossil fuels. For this primary source pairing, invite students to analyze an infographic on the use of fossil fuels in the world. As an extension, incorporate environmental research on energy use in the world and issues of energy sustainability. Use PiktoChart as a platform to make infographics of your own to represent your findings.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What people and objects are shown?
- What words do you see?
- What do you see that looks different than it would in a photograph?
- What do you see that might refer to other information or research?
- What do you see that might be a symbol?
- What other details can you see?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Infographic: Green Market Oracle