The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea
Written by Brenda Z. Guiberson, Illustrated by Gennady Spirin
Which sea creature is the greatest? Is it the one with the most venom, the greatest diver, the one with blue blood, or the best rotating eyes? Or is it the master of disguise, the one with the best light, the most slime, or the most eggs? Fascinating facts and spectacular illustrations will inspire young readers to choose their own favorite sea creatures!
Primary Source Pairing:
The ocean is an intricate food web. The creatures who live in the ocean rely on each other regardless if they are prey or predator. Each of these most amazing creatures in the sea has a spot in the food web. For this primary source pairing, invite students to study the food web chart and consider how all the creatures in the sea are connected.
Questions for Discussion:
- What do you notice first?
- Find something small but interesting.
- What do you notice that you didn’t expect?
- What do you notice that you can’t explain?
- What can you learn from examining this?
- What do you still wonder about?
- How does the information in this chart connect to what you learned while reading The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Ocean Food Web: kids.britannica.com