Red: A Crayon’s Story
Written and illustrated by Michael Hall
Red’s factory-applied label clearly says that he is red, but despite the best efforts of his teacher, fellow crayons and art supplies, and family members, he cannot seem to do anything right until a new friend offers a fresh perspective.
Primary Source Pairing:
The story of Red is ultimately about perseverance and being yourself. Author and illustrator Michael Hall writes about his inspiration to create this story and how he hopes it encourages readers to look beyond the outward appearance of others. Read Michael Hall’s full author statement on his website. For this primary source pairing, invite students to watch the book trailer and analyze it using the motion picture primary source analysis tool.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see and hear.
- What do you notice first?
- What was the purpose of this motion picture?
- Who do you think created it?
- What feelings or ideas do you think its creators wanted to communicate?