Prisoner of Night and Fog
Written by Anne Blankman
In 1930s Munich, the favorite niece of rising political leader Adolph Hitler is torn between duty and love after meeting a fearless and handsome young Jewish reporter.
Primary Source Pairing:
For this primary source pairing, an image of an issue of the front page of the Münchener Post, or the Munich Post gives perspective to students just how dangerous it was to print this newspaper during the 1930s in Hitler Germany.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What text do you notice first?
- What do you see other than news articles?
- How is the text and other information arranged on the page?
- What details indicate when this was published?
- Who do you think was the audience for this publication?
- What can you tell about the point of view of the people who produced this?
- How would this be different if produced today? How would this be the same?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Münchener Post: Photobucket