Pink is for Blobfish: Discovering the World’s Perfectly Pink Animals
Written by Jess Keating, Illustrated by David DeGrand
Some people think pink is a pretty color. A fluffy, sparkly, princess-y color. But it’s so much more. Sure, pink is the color of princesses and bubblegum, but it’s also the color of monster slugs and poisonous insects. Not to mention ultra-intelligent dolphins, naked mole rats, and bizarre, bloated blobfish.
Primary Source Pairing:
This interesting and factual book about the pink creatures in our animal kingdom includes the geographic location in each animal description. Incorporate map skills with this read aloud by finding where each of these pink creatures resides on our planet.
Questions for Discussion:
- Look at the map. What do you notice?
- What on the map looks strange or unfamiliar?
- What place or places does the map show?
- Where does the pink creature live?
- Do you notice any trends or patterns when finding the locations of the pink creatures?
- Which pink creatures live on the same continent?
- Which pink creature lives closest to you?
- Which pink creature lives farthest away?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
World Map: http://www.wpmap.org