One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
Written by Miranda Paul, Illustrated by Elizabeth Zunon
Isatou Ceesay finds a way to recycle discarded plastic bags that have accumulated in dirty heaps in her Gambian village.
Primary Source Pairing:
Isatou Ceesay is an innovator, a problem solver, and someone who wants the world to be a better place. In this book, we learn about how one person had an idea that made a difference in her community and beyond. Additionally, to help build the worldview of our students, pair this book with a world map, highlighting Gambia and where you are in the world. Finally, to learn how to make your own recycled plastic purse, watch this YouTube video feature Isatou Ceesay. What a fun Makerspace project!
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What people and objects are shown?
- What can you learn from examining this image?
- What size and shape is the map?
- What graphical elements do you see?
- What on the map looks strange or unfamiliar?
For more information about Isatou Ceesay, visit the Climate Heroes Website