One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree
Written by Daniel Bernstrom, Illustrated by Brendan Wenzel
Gobbled by a snake, a crafty boy finds a way out of his predicament by encouraging the snake to eat an increasing number of animals.
Primary Source Pairing:
After being gobbled up by the sneaky-slidey snake, a boy challenges the snake to eat many more creatures until the snake’s belly is so full it can no longer keep it all in. For this primary source pairing, invite students to investigate a diagram of a snake’s anatomy, paying close attention to the body systems that aid in digestion.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What can you learn from examining this image?
- Find something small but interesting.
- What do you notice that you didn’t expect?
- What do you notice that you can’t explain?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Snake Anatomy Chart: newtonsapple.org.uk via Pinterest