Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California’s Farallon Islands
Written and Illustrated by Katherine Roy
An up close look at the ocean’s most fearsome and famous predator and the scientists who study them–just twenty-six miles from the Golden Gate Bridge.
Primary Source Pairing:
Using in-depth research, author and illustrator Katherine Roy’s book is engaging yet terrifying as the reader learns all about the great white shark. The Farallon Islands map paired with this book shows where the these sharks live. Additional primary source pairings could be diagrams of a shark body, migration patterns , or ocean food chains.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What size and shape is the map?
- What graphical elements do you see?
- What on the map looks strange or unfamiliar?
- Describe anything that looks like it does not belong on a map.
- What place or places does the map show?
- What words do you see?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Farallon Island Map: SeeSharks.com