Lesser Spotted Animals: The Coolest Creatures You’ve Never Heard Of
Written and Illustrated by Martin Brown
Find out all about the amazing animals you need to know but never get to see, from the numbat to the zorilla, and everything in between.
Primary Source Pairing:
Sink your teeth into this fantastic animal anthology. The creatures included in this book are unknown, cute, and bizarre. Each animal is presented with detailed illustrations, a thorough description, fun facts, and a small map showing the habitat. For this primary source pairing, connect a map skills lesson and visual analysis to provide students an opportunity to geographically place each animal. Using a print or digital world map, invite students to choose an animal from the book and find the animal’s habitat on the map. Additionally, use globes as tools for this geographical exploration.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What size and shape is the map?
- What graphical elements do you see?
- What on the map looks strange or unfamiliar?
- Choose an animal from the book Lesser Spotted Animals: The Coolest Creatures You’ve Never Heard Of. Where does the animal from the book live?
- Where do you live in relation to where the animal from the book lives?
- Find two animals in the book that live on the same continent.
- Find an animal in the book that lives on the same continent as you live.
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
World Map: https://picryl.com