I Am Malala
Written by Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai’s describes her fight for education for girls under Taliban rule, the support she received from her parents to pursue an education, and how the Taliban retaliated against her by trying to kill her.
Primary Source Pairing:
In addition to the images included within the text, pair I Am Malala with her Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in 2014 (embedded below). To view the text of the speech, visit the Nobel Peace Prize website.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you notice.
- What do you notice first?
- Are any words unfamiliar to you?
- Do you notice any accent?
- Do you notice any background noises?
- What other details do you notice?
- What connections can you make between Malala’s speech and her book?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Malala Yousafzai Nobel Peace Prize Speech: YouTube