Written by Robin LaFevers
Seventeen-year-old Ismae avoids an arranged marriage by making a place for herself at the convent of St. Mortin, where she learns of her unique gifts and must determine whether she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death.
Primary Source Pairing:
Use the map included in the book for students to get their bearings as they follow the travels of Ismae as she delivers Death’s vengeance.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What size and shape is the map?
- What graphical elements do you see?
- What on the map looks strange or unfamiliar?
- Describe anything that looks like it does not belong on a map.
- What place or places does the map show?
- How does this map connect to your visualization of the events in the story?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Map of the land: Robin LaFevers