Emmy & Oliver
Written by Robin Benway
Sheltered seventeen-year-old Emmy’s childhood best friend Oliver reappears after disappearing with his father ten years ago.
Primary Source Pairing:
Oliver’s dad took Oliver away when he was in 2nd grade, and everyone’s life changed, especially those whom Oliver left behind. The primary source pairing for this book is a missing person’s report from the state of California. Invite students to experience the feelings Oliver’s mom felt as she grieved his loss and hoped for him to come home.
Additional pairings for this title include college applications to connect with Emmy’s secret dreams to attend UCSD, surfing instruction videos to honor Oliver and Emmy’s favorite pastime, or a food truck menu to familiarize students with the southern California cuisine.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- Describe anything you see on the page besides words, such as images or decorations.
- How is the text and other information arranged on the page?
- Describe anything about this text that looks strange or unfamiliar.
- What other details can you see?
- What was the purpose of this text?
- What feelings do you have analyzing this form?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Missing Person Report: Form Birds