Don’t Get Caught
Written by Kurt Dinan
To his great surprise, uncool eleventh-grader Max Cobb is invited to join the Chaos Club, an exclusive group of students responsible for some of the biggest pranks at his high school.
Primary Source Pairing:
Following in the footsteps of all the heist movie greats, Max reinvents himself into a new version of himself – one with a crew, a plot for revenge, and the guts to pull it off. For this primary source pairing, invite students to study a movie poster from the original Ocean’s 11 movie from 1960. Discuss how Max uses these heist movies as his inspiration to set his parameters and pull off his pranks.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What people and objects are shown?
- How are they arranged?
- What is the physical setting?
- What’s happening in the image?
- How does Max use heist movies as inspiration? Cite textual evidence to support your answer.
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Ocean’s 11 movie poster: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054135/