Written and Illustrated by Kayla Miller
When a school variety show leaves Olive stranded without an act to join, she wonders why all of her friends have already formed their own groups without her.
Primary Source Pairing:
Click tells the story of Olive finding herself as she works to navigate the twisty roads of a school variety show. Inspired by the variety show hosts in the old TV shows her aunt show her, Olive decides to make a role for herself and host the variety show. For this primary source pairing, invite students to watch and analyze a clip of Jackson 5 singing “ABC” on the Ed Sullivan show on May 10, 1970. Encourage students to make connections to what they see in the video and how the variety shows in the book Click are illustrated. Additionally, creator Kayla Miller has some great resources on her website: https://www.kayla-miller.com/click.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you hear.
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- Can you understand what is being sung or said?
- Do you know the song, or do you recognize any instruments?
- What other details can you hear?
- Make a connection to what you see in this video clip to how the variety shows were illustrated in the book Click.
- Make a connection to this music performance and something similar that happens today.
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Jackson 5 “ABC” on The Ed Sullivan Show: YouTube