Written by Laura Ruby
Eighteen-year-old Finn, an outsider in his quiet Midwestern town, is the only witness to the abduction of town favorite Roza, but his inability to distinguish between faces makes it difficult for him to help with the investigation, and subjects him to even more ridicule and bullying.
Primary Source Pairing:
In this magical realism story, Finn the local beekeeper sees a kidnapping of the beautiful Roza. Pair an image of a queen bee in a beehive to get conversation buzzing about the complexity of the characters, the twists and turns of the story, and what it means to believe in yourself.
Questions for Discussion:
- Describe what you see.
- What do you notice first?
- What people and objects are shown?
- What other details can you see?
- What can you learn from examining this image?
- How does this image relate to the characters in Bone Gap?
- What additional images would you pair with this book?
Book Cover and Summary: Follett
Queen bee image: Pixabay