A Boy Called Bat
Written by Elana K. Arnold
When his veterinarian mom brings home a stray baby skunk that needs rehabilitation before it can be placed in a wild animal shelter, Bat, who has autism, resolves to prove that he is up to the challenge of caring for the skunk permanently.
Primary Source Pairing:
Bixby Alexander Tam (Bat) is a skunk kit expert. Through his dedication to Thor, the baby skunk is compelling and kind. For this primary source pairing, invite students to study a photograph of a baby skunk and make comparisons to Bat’s care of Thor in the book.
Questions for Discussion:
- What do you notice first?
- Find something small but interesting.
- What do you notice that you didn’t expect?
- What do you notice that you can’t explain?
- Make a connection to a characteristic of this skunk kit with something you read in the book A Boy Called Bat.